local-partner
visit our sponsors

05. Tennessee Supreme Court Building - 617 Cumberland Avenue

Image

The Tennessee Supreme Court Building was designed by the Knoxville architectual firm of Baumann and Baumann and was constructed with $4.7 million appropriated by the Tennessee legislature in 1951.  The building was dedicated in 1954, and its noteworthy design includes large expanses of East Tennessee marble, glass walls and other characteristics of Mid-century Mondern architecture.  The building and surrounding site that cover an entire city block are currently the subject of a Request for Proposals for redevelopment.

Knox Heritage calls on any eventual purchaser to retain and adaptively reuse the courtroom section of the building, which is located in the central front portion of the building facing Locust Street and includes its most noteworthy design elements.  This feature lends itself well to adaptive reuse, while the site would be large enough to allow for additional construction to accommodate a new use.

 

 

rss feeds

Knox Heritage, Inc.
P.O. Box 1242
Knoxville, TN 37901

Tele: (865)523-8008
Fax: (865)523-0938
info@knoxheritage.org